Messy Play Kits
Why Messy Play?
Children learn best when they actively engage with their environment and use all their senses. Young children are in a very concrete stage of development—they need to SEE and FEEL their world in order to understand it. By engaging in sensory play combined with skilled adult partners, they learn about a variety of textures, materials, and properties in the concrete manner they understand best.
Through Messy Play kits and activities, children will:
- Engage with a variety of textures and materials
- Learn about material properties and how they change (such as soft, sticky, stretchy, bubbly)
- Develop cognitive skills (problem-solving, cause and effect)
- Math skills (counting, shape identification and matching, timing)
- Science concepts (physical properties, gravity, basic chemical reactions, predictions and observations)
- Social and emotional skills (sharing materials, group problem-solving, decision-making)
- Language abilities (learning new words for materials and properties)
- Responsibility and self-control (having to participate in set-up and clean-up, following rules and limits)
- Fine motor skills (pinching, poking, grasping) all help develop the muscles to hold a pencil and write properly
- Creativity (using open-ended materials allows room for creativity and builds self-confidence)
Instructions are included in each Messy Play Kit. See the Tips page for ideas on how to support your child during Messy Play adventures.